Horse Trailer Blue Book

Glossary of Terms

To add or edit glossary items please contact HTBB here.

Bumper Pull Trailer – A style of trailer with a coupler type hitch located at the front of the trailer frame. This hitch connects to a ball

mounted on the towing vehicle on or near the rear bumper, typically 18" – 24" above the ground. Also known as a drag type trailer.

Center Divider – A divider placed within the horse compartment used to separate the horses. Typically found in a straight load type

trailer. Divider may be floor to ceiling, half height or tubular, may also be padded as an option.

Composite Floor – An optional rubberized flooring material. Typically made of recycled tires; however, other similar material may be

used. The composite floor is approximately 1" thick and will not deteriorate due to rotting.

Crossmember(s) – Usually steel angle iron running across the bottom of the trailer in which the flooring is affixed.

Double Wall Construction – An option for steel or aluminum bodied trailers. This is a steel or aluminum liner fixed inside the Horse

Compartment protecting the outer body of the trailer from damage caused by livestock inside of trailer.

Dressing Room – May also be referred to as a tack room and typically has a storage area for clothes, boots, chaps, etc.

Dual Axle – A description of the quantity of two axles on which a trailer rides on and is supported by. Also commonly known as a

tandem axle trailer. Most of a trailer’s load is supported by these two axles. The front portion is supported by the towing vehicle’s hitch

when in transportation or a jack stand when not in transportation. Typical of most horse, stock and utility trailers are two axles with

single wheels and tires at each axle end. Other scenarios are single axle and triple axle trailers. In some cases trailers may have two

wheels and tires at each axle end instead of single wheel and tire and are commonly known as dual wheels and tires. Dual wheels

and tires are found on heavier type GVWR trailer axles such as trailers used for hauling large construction equipment or standard on

commercial highway trailers.

Electrical Pin – Usually a 7 or 10 pin electrical hook up providing power for lighting, turn signals, trailer brakes, etc. The pin usually

has a female end affixed to the tow vehicle and a male end attached by a wiring harness to the trailer. Universal Adapters allow the

user to switch from 7 to 10 pin set-ups.

Equine – Scientific word for horse.

Escape Door – Usually found on straight load style and livestock type trailers, commonly located toward the front of the loading area

and may be on the curbside, roadside or on both sides of the trailer. This door allows the animal handler to lead the animal(s) into the

compartment and exit conveniently without having to walk back through the animal compartment.

Feed Windows – Typically used when referring to a slant load type trailer. These are usually metal-framed windows with bars and

sliding screens folding down on the roadside of the trailer. There may also be an optional screen securing the inside opening when

the window is folded down to allow air to pass through easier during hot weather travel.

Feed/Hay Bin – Also referred to as a manger and typically found on straight load trailers. This is an elevated area in the front of the

horse compartment where hay or feed may be given to the horse. It usually has at least one swinging access door on the curbside,

but most models have a curbside and roadside access door. Also found as a single door in the middle.

Floor Mats – Usually a rubberized matting material secured to the floor for easy clean up and a less slippery surface for the animal

to stand on.

Folding Feed Bins – Typically used in slant loaders. The folding feed bin attaches to the wall of the trailer below the feed window

and the swinging divider. When horses are loaded or unloaded the divider may be moved toward the wall and the folding feed bin will

collapse without impeding the travel of the divider.

FRP-Fiberglass Reinforced Plywood – A common outer body material, durable and paintable. It is considerably lighter than a steel

or aluminum body material and commonly found in the manufacturing of commercial trailers.

Gooseneck Trailer – A style of trailer in which the front of the unit is raised 5’ or so and is hitched in the bed of a pickup or flatbed

truck. The gooseneck portion of the trailer is typically used for a sleeping area in a living quarters style trailer or hay storage in a stock

type gooseneck trailer.

Horse Compartment – The area inside the trailer in which the horse is secured and travels.

Living Quarters – Usually found in gooseneck style trailers. They provide a comfortable human living area and may range from a bed

and sink set-up to extensive camper style packages.

Padded Walls – Usually a 1" or 2" wide closed cell rubberized padding secured to walls and dividers to prevent injury to horses and

dents in the trailer walls.

Pig Tail – A device keeping doors or feed windows open during travel or loading.

Radius – Usually an aluminum molding piece curved to connect trailer panels. Typically found connecting the roof to the body side

panels. Also found connecting the curved front portion to the side walls on a bumper pull type trailer.

Rear Ramp Entry – Usually a single door hinged on the bottom and is either hydraulically or spring actuated to fold down to the

ground to allow the horse to enter the horse compartment on a ramp. Rear ramp entry may also be coupled with a single swing door

for additional loading options.

Receiver Hitch – This is the most popular and safest method of hitching a bumper pull type trailer. The hitch frame is mounted directly

to the towing vehicle’s frame. The hitch with a trailer ball attached is inserted into this frame and held in by a large pin. This type of

hitch is able to carry more tongue weight and pulling capacity compared to a trailer ball mounted to a bumper or a trailer ball mounted

to a hitch bolted to a vehicle’s bumper.

Saddle Storage Compartment – Usually found below the feed bin on a two horse straight load trailer or at the rear of a gooseneck

trailer. Typically has a saddle rack on each side able to swing out or pulled out for easy access.

Show Trailer – Commonly used by horse show enthusiasts, contains complete living quarters, tack room/dressing room, side

awnings, etc. Designed for comfortable travel and stationery living for both humans and horses.

Side Ramp Entry – Typically used in large trailers able to transport six or more horses. The side ramp is usually located on the

roadside and is hinged at the bottom and is either hydraulically or spring actuated to fold down to the ground.

Single Axle – One axle supporting a trailer with a single wheel and tire on each axle end. Typically used for lightweight hauling.

Slant Load Trailer – Horse trailer incorporating swinging horse dividers which fasten in a slanted position keeping the horses standing

diagonally within the compartment for better weight distribution and less stressful hauling compared to straight load trailers.

Slat Floor – Wooden plank style floor, planks or slats, may be removed from the cross members for repair or replacement.

Slide Out – Refers to the portion of a living quarters area that expands out, increasing the width.

Sliding/Swinging Saddle Racks – A rack made of usually tubular steel formed to fit the bottom of the saddle. May be removable and

usually slide or extend out from the trailer’s saddle storage and tack compartment.

Spread Axle – A dual axle style trailer with a larger than standard spread between the two axles. Typically the spread is between 10"

and 14" and is engineered to provide better weight distribution throughout the trailer.

Stock Trailer – Usually a metal slat body panel allowing for free air flow through the stock compartment. May either be gooseneck,

straight load or slant load style with either swinging rear doors or ramp rear door. Typically has very few options available.

Straight Load Trailer – Typically two horse units, (but can be single), in which the horses stand side by side, shoulder to shoulder

within the compartment.

Swing Door Entry – Also known as barn doors. These doors are typically affixed to the area of the trailer and swing outward for

horse loading.

Swinging Divider – A divider placed within the horse compartment used to separate horses. Typically found on a Slant Load type

trailer and is usually hinged at one end and can be fastened or pinned at the other end. These dividers are usually tubular and may

also be padded as an option.

Tack – The equipment and riggings used for horseback riding. Equipment includes but not limited to halters, bridles, bit, reins,

saddles, cinches, headstalls, saddle pad, saddlebags, etc.

Tack Room – A separate walk-in room used for storing tack, saddles, buckets, etc. The Tack Room usually includes a saddle rack,

tack hooks, shelves, etc. May also include water storage.

Tongue Weight – The actual weight of the trailer at the point in which it hitches to the tow vehicle.

Tri-Axle – Three axles supporting most of a trailer’s weight and ride excluding the front portion which is supported by the tow vehicle

or leg stand when not in use. This is a standard set-up for a six, eight, ten or twelve horse trailer, or other large carrying capacity stock

and utility trailers.

Walk-Thru Entry – Usually a Ramp style entry, but may also be used with swing doors. Either the front and back or both sides of

the trailer are able to open for horse loading. Typically used for veterinary or other special circumstances to allow the horses an

uninhibited full view of their surroundings while loading.